Bioidentical Hormone Doctor Dallas – Nikki Walden, M.D.
As the medical director of BodyLogicMD in Dallas Texas, Nikki Walden, M.D. uses a variety of integrative therapies to help her patients experience the highest quality of life possible. These include nutrition and exercise counseling, vitamin supplements, teaching stress reduction techniques, and administering Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy. Doctor Walden creates a personalized wellness plan after meeting with each patient and determining their unique needs.
Nikki Walden, M.D., is a former gynecologist who provided care to North Dallas women for 10 years. She served in several leadership roles during this time, including Vice Chair of the OB-GYN department, Physician Champion for the Women’s Health Service Line at Baylor Medical Center near Dallas, and was a member of several ethics and credentialing committees.
As a medical doctor, Nikki Walden always had a strong interest in complementary therapies because they emphasized wellness and prevention instead of just treating symptoms. In 2008, Doctor Walden realized that she was becoming increasingly dissatisfied with both the treatment methods and time constraints of traditional medicine. She made the decision at this time to leave gynecology and obstetrics to open her open private practice focusing on Integrative and Functional Medicine. As a BodyLogicMD physician, Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy is an important part of the natural wellness programs she offers to patients.
How Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy Fits into a Patient-Centered Approach
One of the trademark characteristics of Integrative and Functional Medicine is that practitioners take the time to listen to patient concerns. In a traditional medical setting, you need to have a diagnosable disease to get any real help. The problem with this approach is that hormone decline isn’t a disease. It’s a normal part of life for women and men, but that doesn’t mean it can’t cause discomfort and take the joy out of life. Nikki Walden, M.D., creates a wellness plan based on your own health goals and self-reported symptoms. She determines your current hormone levels before recommending Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy for balancing.
The ingredients used in Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy come from yam and soy plant extracts rather than animal byproducts and chemicals. They are safe, fast-acting, and rarely produce any side effects. Since the cellular and molecular structure of bioidentical hormones match what your body already produces, it is unable to distinguish replacement hormones from natural ones. If you’re not sick but don’t feel your best either, undergoing Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy in Dallas, Texas with Doctor Nikki Walden can give you the quality of life that you desire.
Symptoms of Hormone Imbalance
During a woman’s 30s, her body starts preparing for menopause by decreasing the production of estrogen, progesterone, and other essential hormones. The set of symptoms she experiences at this time is called perimenopause. Men go through a similar hormonal fluctuation when their testosterone levels start dropping around age 30 and continue to do so at a rate of one percent per year. Their symptoms are collectively known as andropause. Men and women experience several of the same physical and emotional issues due hormone imbalance. The most common ones include:
- Depression: Some men and women experience depression independently while others fall into a persistent depressed mood due to low libido, weight gain, and other issues caused by hormone imbalance. Whatever the cause, it’s important to achieve hormone balance so you can enjoy life rather than just tolerate it.
- Fatigue: This condition persists despite getting enough sleep and reducing stress as much as possible. You feel run-down and achy all over. Persistent fatigue typically occurs due to low testosterone and cortisol levels in both men and women. Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy helps to correct this imbalance and provide you with the energy you need.
- Hot Flashes and Night Sweats: Women know that these symptoms are often associated with menopause, but they catch most men by surprise. Hot flashes are uncomfortable to experience and night sweats interfere with sleep. Replenishing the deficient hormones can help to improve or eliminate both problems.
- Insomnia: Different from chronic fatigue, insomnia is the inability to fall asleep at night or to stay asleep for several consecutive hours. You may wake up several times and have to fight to get back to sleep each time. Hot flashes can also contribute to this problem. Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy balances the affected hormones so you can consistently get a good night’s sleep.
- Low Libido: Rapid hormonal changes around midlife can affect the desire to engage in physical intimacy for both men and women. It may also be uncomfortable due to other symptoms they may be experiencing. Balancing testosterone levels in men and estrogen levels in women can help improve libido.
- Weight Gain: Having a hormone imbalance slows the metabolism, which makes it easy to gain weight and hard to lose it. Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy helps to stabilize your metabolism so you can reach your goal weight faster.
Hormonal imbalance problems in women may include:
- Endometriosis: This condition occurs when tissue grows outside of a woman’s reproductive organs. It can cause intensified premenstrual symptoms, scarring, non-menstrual bleeding, and even infertility. Along with a customized nutrition plan from Doctor Walden, Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy helps to balance estrogen levels and relieve the symptoms of endometriosis.
- Fibroids: Fibroids grow near the uterus due to an imbalance of estrogen and progesterone. This is a common condition and not as serious as endometriosis. However, it still causes pain and discomfort. Bringing estrogen and progesterone into the proper balance can eliminate uterine fibroids.
- Memory Loss: Hormone decline affects the hypothalamus in the brain, which can lead to problems with both short-term and long-term memory. The inability to concentrate can also become more pronounced. Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy helps to reduce mental fogginess to improve focus and memory.
- Mood Swings: In addition to depression, women may struggle with anxiety and irritability due to hormone imbalance. This can cause strained relationships as others don’t understand that the emotional reactions are not a deliberate choice. Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy helps to balance brain chemistry and create mood stability.
- Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS): Most women experience at least some symptoms with their menstrual period each month, such as bloating, weight gain, food cravings, and increased irritability. When a hormone imbalance is present, it intensifies these and other problems. Natural hormone balancing helps to reduce PMS symptoms to a manageable level.
Hormonal Issues Common in Men
The following symptoms are unique to men or tend to appear more often in the male gender:
- Erectile Dysfunction: The inability to get an erection at all or to maintain firmness long enough for a satisfying sexual encounter is a common, yet extremely frustrating, problem among middle aged and older men. A lack of testosterone balance is usually to blame. Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy in Dallas restores testosterone to earlier levels to help men have better erections.
- Gynecomastia: When testosterone declines, estrogen often takes its place. The results in unwanted male breast growth, a most embarrassing problem for men. Using natural replacement hormones to increase testosterone and decrease estrogen can help this problem disappear.
- Hair Loss: Male pattern baldness and other hair loss issues are typically associated with a thyroid disorder. Men may also lose hair elsewhere on the body, such as the arms and chest. Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy restores the thyroid and other hormones to appropriate levels, which in turn can prevent further hair loss or even encourage the growth of new hair.
- Irritability: This problem is so common that some people have named it Irritable Male Syndrome. A rapid fluctuation in hormone levels can leave men feeling short-tempered and impatient at home and at work. Balancing the hormones is a simple solution that helps men enjoy the people in their lives once again.
- Muscle Atrophy: Low levels of testosterone can cause men to lose muscular strength as well as make previously well-defined muscles disappear. Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy replenishes the depleted testosterone and helps men recover their muscle mass.
- Sleep Apnea: Loud snoring and waking up gasping for breath are both signs of sleep apnea. People with this condition actually stop breathing for several seconds at a time. In addition to lack of testosterone balance, sleep apnea may occur due to obesity and certain medical conditions. Following the diet recommendations of Doctor Walden and undergoing Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy can reduce or eliminate the problem.
- Urinary Incontinence: Hormonal decline can cause the leakage of urine or complete loss of bladder control. Determining which hormones are deficient and balancing them with bioidentical hormones can help with this embarrassing problem.
Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy as part of an Integrative and Functional Medicine approach can give you the energy and vitality you may have thought were gone forever. Nikki Walden, M.D., fully embraces this approach to patient care in addition to being highly skilled in the administration of Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy. If your doctor keeps saying that you’re fine when you feel anything but fine, consider how an emphasis on wellness rather than acute care could change your life.
When you schedule a consultation with Doctor Walden, one of the leading hormone treatment specialists in Dallas, she will create a unique Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy treatment plan to address your specific symptoms. You won